Thursday, March 23, 2006

Fun

A sad day. Yesterday was our performance of Carmina Burana. The evening rehearsals have been such fun and the music was so good. For so many amateurs, many who had not sung since schooldays, we made a very good sound. It was nice to meet mothers from the Junior School, and the conductor, the director of music at the school, was a great thrill, so positive and encouraging. "That was fantastic." "If you could just look at me I'll try and help you." "When the men were singing I was watching a soprano who was singing away. If she had just looked at me she would have noticed!" He explained to the junior choir at the dress rehearsal that he would make eye contact with everyone so they must keep looking at him, and if he wasn't looking at them then he would be soon and it would be such a pity if they missed him. Wednesdays won't be the same again.

2 comments:

artfulzebra said...

Sounds lovely, Elizabeth! I hope you had an exhilarating time performing. :-) When I'm performing I have my eyes on the MD as much as possible and it's a big concern that the band are on stage and behind us for Barnum at Easter! We have some company members who really need to see the nod to come off a note and it doesn't bode well when the MD isn't going to be able to give it!!

emhowl said...

That would be rather tricky! I do love the looks conductors give. Ours on a Sunday morning does a little beatific smile if we have sung well. I think there's still a slight smile otherwise but the ecstasy is missing. I also like it when the conductor uses his hands, not a baton.

Ex